Lifer in a busy city

Brown-breasted Flycatcher by Aditya Pal
In the middle of Kathmandu, a busy and noisy city, something exciting was buzzing among us bird lovers. We heard whispers about a special bird called the Brown-breasted Flycatcher, a rare visitor to Nepal. This bird had been spotted in a tiny forest area hidden away in the middle of the city, a sort of nature hideout amid all the buildings and noise.

So, my friends Hem Bahadur Katuwal, Aditya Pal, and I decided to go on a little adventure. We wanted to see this rare bird and add it to our birdwatching achievement list. As we stepped into the forest, the loud sounds of the city started to fade away. We were filled with excitement, guided by the news from the day before about where the bird was seen.

Hem got in touch with a friend who knew more about the bird's whereabouts. The forest became our playground, and we split up, each going in different directions, hoping to catch a glimpse of our special feathery guest.

Listening carefully, I strained my ears against the city noise, but it was hard to hear anything over all the commotion. Frustrated, I decided to try something bold. I played the bird's calls from my mobile, trying to create a little bit of nature in the middle of the city chaos. The soft sounds mixed with the city sounds, creating a unique melody.

Aditya found my attempt amusing and asked, "How can the bird hear that quiet sound?" I smiled and said, "If the bird is around, it will definitely hear and respond." I was determined, and I believed our little trick could work.
Suddenly, Aditya's voice broke through the noise. He excitedly told me that a small brown bird had landed on a twig nearby. I rushed over, and there it was – the Brown-breasted Flycatcher! It was a lifer, a bird we had never seen before, and we found it in the middle of all the chaos.

Cheers erupted through the forest, drowning out the city's sounds. Our daring adventure in the heart of Kathmandu had paid off. We successfully added a new bird to our list, turning the city into a thrilling birdwatching haven, even if just for a moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mid Winter Waterbird Count in East Nepal.

My Lumbini Visit after 6 years

Midwinter Waterbird Count 2020