Birding in Bharatpur: A dream became true

A dream was set in early childhood when I heard a name of the place from some great birders and ornithologist of Nepal, which is famous for birds in India was not other than Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary. Since then I was dreaming to be in that place one day. When I offered by Asian Adventures to work in India I thought that this is the call for Bharatpur, I'll not get any best offer than this and I decided to move to India in 2016. Although I didn't manage to visit there in last year but heard more about it from other birders of India, specially Shyam Sharma who belongs to Bharatpur and a great Naturalist of North India. I then got to know it is called as Keoladeo National Park or Ghana as well and made a plan to visit with help of Shyam. With Shyam at the main gate of Park

Keoladeo National Park(Bharatpur/Ghana) is one of the best birding hotspot of India. Once who can get more than 120 species of birds in a single birding day. KNP is only one place in Indian subcontinent where Siberian Crane used to spend their winter (unfortunately there is not any records since 2002 ). Although the park spread in 29 sq.km area with 423 species of birds, so it is called paradise of birds. The park is declared as a world heritage site in 2002 as a "Habitat for rare and endangered species, wetlands of international importance for migratory waterfowls, wintering ground for Siberian Crane and habitat for large numbers of resident nesting birds. Oriental Darter[/caption]On December 16,2017, I headed to Delhi with a planned tour to Bharatpur but stuck in Noida for few days. I managed to visit Okhla Bird Santuary which is mostly famous for waterbirds and I really loved to see them. Two days birding inside Okhla was very wonderful and I got 3 lifers Ruff, White-tailed Lapwing and Black-tailed Godwit on 19th Dec as my birthday gifts. All three waders are very uncommon in Nepal so I had to wait till my 28th birthday. A total 86 species were seen at Okhla in two days birding.
Shyam was busy with a group till 20th Dec and met me on 21, so we started our journey on 22 Dec in early morning. Almost 5hrs drive from Delhi to Bharatpur I finally entered in my dream place for birding. We had short afternoon and we did cycling inside the park. The park was full of birds and they were very close in distance. Ducks were dabbling, Darters and cormorants are drying and preening their feathers, gees are cackling and harriers are flapping lower and chasing those ducks ... I took long breath and smelled all scenario and thanked to the nature and all people who appreciate my feelings and I got the chance to feel this moment.. Group of Bar-headed Goose[/caption]Next day (23 Dec) we went to Bayana to see an Indian Vulture which I haven't seen before and got several nests with birds. Finally I completed all nine old world vulture species which are found in Indian Subcontinent. We then headed to Bandbaratha dam and went up to an old palace the Basanta Barbar Mahal which is on the top of a hill and had very beautiful view of Bandbaratha reservoir. The reservoir was full of ducks, geese, coots and weders. We often seen River Tern flying near the water surface, Black-tailed Godwits were wading, suddenly I heard a frighten birds alarm call and some of them flew shortly. I thought there should be a raptors nearby, not being late a male Eurasian Marsh Harrier appeared and I was enjoying its presence shyam called and pointed over to my head. A sub-adult Imperial Eagle was soaring in the sky and enjoying the sun and wind for a moment and disappeared. After a while it again appeared and I again began to observe it, at the same time a Barbery Falcon also joined with Eagle and dived fast behind treeline. It was a new flacon to me.
At evening we drove back to a place where shayam had arranged a Dal Bhati Churma party for me, somebody told me to taste once while I was planning for Bharatpur tour and I had told shyam about it. Dal Bhati Churma is a pure traditional food of Rajasthan which contained excessive quantity of Sudhda Deshi Ghee.. It was an unforgettable experience which I couldn't digest at all and throw them out at night. Making Dal Bhati Churma[/caption]Shyam wanted to show me a place of Indian Courser so we drove to Kumher. A group of Coursers were feeding on the agricultural fields in a distance, some Indian Bushlarks were busy on ground, a group of Common Babbler were trying to hide themselves in a small bush from a Southern Grey Shrike, Desert and Isabelline Wheaters were running and flying to catch insects. The scenery was very beautiful with clear blue sky.
It was a last birding day at Bharatpur and had planned to walk full day inside the park. We started after breakfast but due to X-Mas holiday park was very crowded and shyam took me through a trail to inside the forest. We almost walked 13 km and saw 126 species in full day birding; probably the third highest species record in a single day in my birding career. Next day I travelled back to Delhi and headed to Nainital at night.
At last, it was a wonderful time in Bharatpur. We saw 146 species with 9 lifers in those 3 and half day birding around there. Great thanks to Shyam and his friends for all management, enjoyment and accompany to make my visit memorable. Many thanks to Mohit sir and Asian Adventures team for their support. I will definitely visit again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mid Winter Waterbird Count in East Nepal.

My Lumbini Visit after 6 years

Midwinter Waterbird Count 2020